Welcome to Anti-Bullying Week 2022
Anti-Bullying Week 2022 is happening this Monday 14th – Friday 18th November with the theme #ReachOut.
We are aware that bullying affects millions of lives and can leave a detrimental impact. This can happen in any environment, including university. Standing Together is a University-wide programme improving wellbeing through tackling unacceptable behaviours and supporting students, and the wider University community, who are directly and indirectly affected. Standing Together have a clear mission to ensure students and staff are united in creating a campus culture of equality, diversity and inclusion. This is why, Anti-Bullying week is so important for our mission to help raise awareness and increase prevention to ensure students and staff enjoy their time at the University of Leicester.
See below information on; What is bullying? Myths and misconceptions, Dignity and Respect, Links and Resources.
What is Bullying?
Bullying is offensive, abusive, intimidating, malicious or insulting behaviour, or an abuse or misuse of power, which undermines, humiliates, denigrates or injures the recipient.
- Bullying behaviour includes:
- Excluding or isolating someone socially.
- Physically abusing or threatening abuse.
- Making offensive jokes or comments.
- Intruding on a person's privacy by pestering, spying or stalking.
You do not have to accept any behaviour that you’re uncomfortable with.
Myths and Misconceptions:
“Bullying is a normal part of childhood/young adulthood and you should just ignore it”
- Bullying should not be perceived as normal or acceptable in any form and should not be ignored. This is why reaching out is so important to help inform you of support available and reporting options and this can be done with the support of the Standing Together Team within Student Support Services.
“Bullying only happens in schools”
- Bullying can happen to anyone in any environment, from; schools, universities, workplaces and social environments. This is why Standing Together and the University of Leicester have a clear mission statement of creating an inclusive, safe environment and have expanded their services to bullying, hate incidents and more.
“Online bullying is just banter”
- As stated above, bullying can happen anywhere including online platforms, such as social media platforms, gaming websites and more. There is an increased risk with online bullying due to the anonymity and the possible 24/7 access to perceived victim.
“Bullying is not illegal or a criminal offence”
- Some forms of bullying are illegal and if reported to the police can result in a criminal prosecution, including; violence, assault, theft, stalking, harassment or intimidation.
- Monday 14th November - Join the #AntiBullyingWeek Hashtag Party!
- Tuesday 15th November & Wednesday 16th November
- Come see the Standing Together Team at the Student's Union to support Anti-Bullying week. We will be there 10-2pm. You can sign our pledge, speak with the team and pick up some freebies.
- Wednesday 16th November - Odd Socks Day #OddSocksDay
- Friday 18th November - Lets celebrate what we've achieved this week!
Dignity and Respect at Leicester
- The University of Leicester is committed to ensure our environment and culture is inclusive, safe where students, staff and visitors are treated with dignity and respect.
- ‘Dignity’ is defined as how people feel and think about their own self-esteem, self-worth and value.
- 'Respect' is defined to have due regard for someone’s feelings, wishes or rights.
- Watch this video to find out what Dignity and Respect means to staff and students at the University : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDXw5aci3fY
- The question is why is it important?
It is crucial for the University's mission in creating an inclusive and safe environment for students, staff and visitors. This is why Standing Together are supporting the Anti-Bullying campaign to help create awareness and the prevention of unacceptable behaviour.
Links and Resources
- If you would like to speak with the Standing Together Team please email: email@example.com or if you would like to make a disclosure, please click on this link https://reportandsupport.le.ac.uk/
- If you would like more information on Dignity and Respect at Leicester, please click this link https://le.ac.uk/about/making-a-difference/equality/dignity-and-respect
- If you would like more information on the Anti-Bullying week, please click this link https://anti-bullyingalliance.org.uk/anti-bullying-week